Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rube Goldberg

I'm trying to gear my kids up for the big state physics test next week, and I am totally baffled by their lack of urgency in getting anything done.  Maybe my memory is failing me, but last year I remember kids getting more serious about completing review activities.  I am afraid that blowing off the review is going to make a lot of kids fail.  Or score lower than they really could score.  But I am at a loss for how to motivate them better.

I introduced our post-test final project, which will be to build a Rube Goldberg machine, and my kids are so eager to work on that, some are even coming in after school to start early.  There is really nothing more fun than sending marbles down ramps and hitting domino chains.

I am toying with the idea of teaching an elective where all we'd do all year is build the biggest, most awesome Rube Goldberg machine ever.  If I was staying at my school for next year, I'd seriously think about proposing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment