Tuesday, November 22, 2011

You look like...

As a white teacher of black and Hispanic students, it is interesting to hear how they perceive me.  I am not talking about deep discussions about racial issues, because I don't normally get into those.  More like, another white woman stops by my class and the kids ask if she's my sister because they say we look exactly alike.

Today we went on a field trip to the aquarium and while watching three aquarium workers scuba diving in the big tank, a group of my students asked me if I ever worked at an aquarium, because, "Miss, you look like a person who would work at the aquarium."  I pressed them a bit about what they meant by that.  I think they just mean that I am white.  I asked them if they would want to work at the aquarium and they all said no.  I'm wishing for more diversity in what my kids see as their options.

No comments:

Post a Comment