Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Done

Today someone asked me what day of the week it was, and I thought to myself, "Sunday?"  In fact it is Tuesday, and it's Day 5 of summer vacation.  Clearly I haven't adjusted to the routine yet, though I have started having weird dreams about the new school year.  The old dreams haven't stopped yet.

The school year ended without much fanfare.  I have left a half dozen companies/jobs in my adult life, and it's never been this anticlimactic.  I didn't want or expect a big fuss, but I guess I expected at least a little something, a few nice words.  I didn't see nearly as many kids for official goodbyes as last year; for whatever reason they just stopped coming, or came and then disappeared without saying I wouldn't see them again.  Most teachers did say at least a little something to me in passing in the hall, and I had a very nice farewell handshake from Mr. L and Mr. P at the final "professional development" meeting.

As I think more about it, I guess it's really the administrators I'm disappointed with.  I didn't even see or talk to either of the administrators who were my direct supervisors.  Not just on my last day, but did not see either of them (other than spotting them in the back of their offices while they were on the phone or in the hallway engrossed in conversation with someone else) for the three days of the last week of school.  I know they were at school, and I left nice farewell notes in their mailboxes on the third-to-last day.  They were busy with wrapping up their own things, but still.  Maybe I should have made a more concerted effort to approach them.  I thought I had a decent relationship with both of them, but I left with a bad taste in my mouth and a prevailing feeling that my last two years didn't amount to much.

No comments:

Post a Comment